Green Tree Garden Club
The Green Tree Garden Club is an educational, charitable, service organization dedicated to the development of gardening, the betterment and beautification of the Green Tree community, and the exchange of gardening ideas and knowledge among its members.
Meetings are typically held on the second Thursday of each month in the Carlisle Social Hall, 825 Poplar Street. Lunch, provided by the club, is served at 11:00 a.m., followed by the meeting at noon and a program at 12:30 p.m. There is no charge and a reservation not needed. Guests are welcome to attend the program only or the entire event.
The Green Tree Garden Club meets year round (except January), giving members opportunities to participate in programs and trips over the summer months when so much is in bloom!
The members are from Green Tree Borough and surrounding neighborhoods. Guests are always welcome to attend the Club programs; those with a love of gardening are encouraged to join. Annual dues are $15.
Please note that as a requirement of membership, all are expected to participate in supporting the activities of the organization.
Unless otherwise indicated, programs are at 12:30 p.m. in the Carlisle Social Hall.
- Thursday, February 12: "Preparing Your Garden" by Gary Baranowski and horticulture students of Bidwell Training Center.
- Thursday, March 12: "Urban Myths and Legends in the Garden" by Denise Schrieber, Allegheny County Parks.
- Thursday, April 9: "Perennials: Three Seasons of Color in the Garden" by Bill Goff, Penn State Master Gardener.
- Thursday, July 9 (held in the Green Tree Municipal Center Park): Potluck picnic at 11:00 a.m., recognition of Green Tree's Public Works employees, and a tour of perennial garden.
- Thursday, August 13 (held in the Sycamore Room of the Municipal Center): "Landscaping in Deer Country" by Dianne Machesney, Master Gardener.
- Thursday, September 10: "The Five Principles of Design" by Claire Schuchman, Exceptional Gardens.
- Thursday, November 12: "Hands-On Fall Arrangement with Elizabeth" by Elizabeth Holmgren, Botanical Emporium Florist & Greenhouse.
- Thursday, December 10 (held at Season's Restaurant): Holiday party at Season's Restaurant, DoubleTree Hotel, 500 Mansfield Ave., Pittsburgh, PA 15220. Reservation required.
Reservation is required for field trips, and guests pay a modest fee. Transportation is via bus or carpool. Contact Donna Gall at 412-875-6846.
FUND RAISING ACTIVITIES
- Thursday, May 14: Brenkle's Farms & Greenhouse, 3814 Mt. Troy Road, Pittsburgh, PA 15212. Lunch at a restaurant.
- Thursday, June 11: Carrie Furnace, Homestead - tour with Rivers of Steel and the Master Gardeners. Lunch at a restaurant.
- Thursday, October 8: Soergel Orchards, 2573 Brandt School Rd., Wexford, PA 15090. Lunch at Soergel's Gift Barn and Market.
The GTGC supports itself and its community activities through three fund raisers:
*The cost of an Enjoy Book is $30.00. Please contact Phyllis Abinanti at 412-922-1797 or any Club member to purchase this valuable book.
- the sale of Enjoy Coupon Books*, September through December,
- a booth at Green Tree's Octoberfest,
- the "Spring 'n Things Sale" in May. This includes a plant sale, flea market, bake sale, basket raffle, and craft sale.
2015 date for Spring 'n Things is Saturday, May 9 from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. in the Carlisle Social Hall.
The Club's fund raising efforts and strong member participation allow for the following community activities to be possible by providing:
- monthly flower arrangements for the Green Tree Library reading area,
- seasonal arrangements for the Municipal Building atrium and Police Department,
- yearly scholarships for horticulture students at the Bidwell Training Center,
- support for local bird and garden societies,
- planting at community gardens each spring.
The Green Tree Garden Club members exercise their love of gardening by maintaining the following Green Tree gardens:
- Perennial Garden at the Municipal Center Park, and
- Anniversary Rose Garden at the Municipal Center Park.
For further information about the Green Tree Garden Club, call Phyllis Abinanti at 412-922-1797.