|Green Tree Borough History|
|How Green Tree came to be . . .|
What has been known as Green Tree Borough since 1885 was once part of the Virginia Territory, then part of Washington County, Peters, Lower St. Clair, Chartiers, Kirkpatrick and Union townships.
Greentree Road began as an Indian trail, was developed into a road, then a toll road with toll houses and then into a main artery leading into Pittsburgh. Stagecoaches regularly traveled the road, dropping off mail at the Sycamore Tree for which the Borough was named. A plaque stands at the site of the tree, which is long gone, near Western Avenue on Greentree Road. The Borough's logo is a replica of the original green tree. You can find them almost everywhere: on police cars, on welcome signs, and at the entrance to municipal property, as pictured here.
Green Tree was first settled in 1793 and grew into a farming community with some mining. The Wabash Railroad built Rook Station at the beginning of the century and was later taken over by the Pittsburgh and West Virginia Railroad. Most of the residents of that small corner of Green Tree, still known today as "Rook," were employed by the railroad. In 1939 many streets were paved by the WPA. In 1952 the Parkway West was built through Green Tree joining Pittsburgh with the Greater Pittsburgh Airport. This brought a building boom to the Borough with the Parkway Center and Foster Plaza office complexes and five hotels.
Green Tree was incorporated in 1885 and officially became a home-rule community in 1975. The Borough is run by an elected seven-member Council and Mayor. Council appoints a Borough Manager, currently W. David Montz, to manage the day-to-day issues and activities within the Borough.
The Green Tree Public Library began in the 1940s at the urging of the literacy group of Green Tree Woman's Club and has developed over the years with volunteer staffing. Formerly located on Greentree Road, the Library moved to a new and larger facility in the new Municipal Center in 1990. The Library expanded again in 2000 and provides a plethora of services including computers, books-on-tape, CDs, videotapes, and DVDs. Today there is a full-time Library Director, three part-time library clerks, and two high school pages in addition to the many volunteers who give of their time to help in the Library. The Friends of the Library recently celebrated their 20th anniversary and hold an annual book sale and assist the Library through manpower and fund raising.
The Green Tree Police Department began in 1908 with one part-time police officer and has now grown to eleven officers.
In 1965, the Borough became part of the Keystone Oaks School District along with the communities of Dormont and Castle Shannon. The Fred L. Aiken Elementary School is located within the Borough and is the public elementary school for Green Tree children. St. Margaret's of Scotland Roman Catholic School also resides within Green Tree Borough.
Green Tree flourishes today with both an upscale residential district and a thriving business district making it one of the premier communities in Allegheny County. It offers a small town feel with under 5,000 residents, but has all the amenities of a big city. The close proximity to Pittsburgh, the Pittsburgh International Airport, major roads such as the Parkway and I-79, and many shopping centers make Green Tree a great community to live and work.
If you would like to know more about Green Tree's history, please contact the Green Tree Historical Society at (412) 921-2319.